Thursday, February 21, 2008

Backhanded soft news

So Wednesday is quickly becoming the day that I don't end up posting anything. So, what do I talk about today? Probably one of the biggest time-wasters ever: reality television.

The way I look at it, there aren't many good things about reality television. Most of the drama and fights are artificial, caused by the premise behind the show. Plus, a lot of them just seem pointless to me. There is no appeal to me watching people try to live without technology on Survivor. I can't say I believe the show, I remain convinced they hand these players a feast after the cameras stop rolling. As for the shows with no game element whatsoever, I just don't care. I don't need or want to see how average people live with each other in a mixed situation. I can already see that in real life.

To date, I have found only two reality shows that I like: The Apprentice and The Mole. I think probably the main reason these shows have made my short list is because the drama is not the focal point of the show. Although the drama is huge for The Apprentice, the main focus is what goes on in the business tasks, save for last week's episode when Piers Morgan got trashed by a demon named Omarosa for the entire episode. My Lenten resolution was to reduce my cursing, so I won't call her what she deserves.

As for The Mole, the show is dramatic enough because of the challenges, and there's no need for additional drama. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, because some games bring out undesired emotions, and tough losses amplify emotions. But the lack of drama is making a return this summer: ABC is planning to bring The Mole back without celebrities, who ruined the game the first time out. All I have to say about that one is that I really hope they bring in the right host. When a game forces you to think, it's great to watch, and a good host can really make it worthwhile.

My time is up. You've all been great. Enjoy Amanda Wilkinson.

No comments: