Saturday, February 16, 2008

I don't understand Nascar

As you might know, the Daytona 500 is tomorrow. To be completely honest, I couldn't care less. It's just cars going around in a circle for a certain amount of laps to me. I know that many people care who wins and will watch every bit of the race. But I don't really understand why.

First, I don't see what the appeal of watching is. There aren't highlights, there aren't fantastic plays. If you watch a baseball game, you're going to see a home run, a great piece of hitting or a nice defensive play. Football, you'll see a great catch or a sack. Hockey, a great shot or an even better save. Even though I hate the dunk, basketball has that moment of excitement for those who love it. Even tennis will have an absolutely gorgeous shot at the end of a rally. A car race has what, exactly?

Second, I don't understand the concept of teams. They compete against each other. They help each other a little, but for the most part, they're competing against each other to try for individual glory. The team is basically pointless, because it's an individual victory and an individual responsible for the win. So why even have the concept of teams if its members are going to compete against each other as well as everyone else? It's foreign to me.

Third, I'll be honest...watching the "sport" is the equivalent of watching rush hour. You can see everything these cars can do on any given interstate at 5:00 p.m., and it's usually more entertaining. The only difference is that the speed is divided by half, but the aggression of the drivers is the same. If I ever get the urge to watch a Nascar race, I'll just go out to I-70 with my beach chair and get comfortable. Basically, it'll be more entertaining.

But I guess it's just a world I'm not supposed to understand. That's okay, because I don't have to. Luckily for me, NBC has the good sense to put on a hockey game between Detroit and Dallas. If the game sucks, I've got a Playstation 2, I can always use that. Either way, I won't be watching this race.

My time is up. You've all been great. Enjoy Waiting for Evangeline.

2 comments:

Shawn Garrison said...

I too have always been confused by the "team" concept in Nascar.

hoosierdaddy1913 said...

TONY STEWART RULES! #20