Thursday, February 14, 2008

Life on an air bed

Since yesterday was a day for real news, today will temporarily become my soft news day this week. Expect soft news to establish a permanent home on Wednesday, unless something happens again. So I'll celebrate Pitchers and Catchers Report Day by talking about...my air bed.

Most people don't have experience sleeping on one for an extended period of time. Since moving into my duplex in August, I've slept on one every night. Before that, I had slept on a traditional mattress every night. I can honestly say that I'll never go back unless I absolutely have to do so. To emphasize that, my current bed had a chamber snap, and I still have yet to tell my mother about it, even though she'd love nothing more than to buy me a real bed. I love sleeping on air instead of springs, and keeping my current bed is the only way that can happen, short of my buying a new one.

What are the benefits? You control how firm the bed is with the flick of a switch. Is the bed sagging? Hit the switch, fixed in seconds. Is it too firm? Twist the dial, release a little air, and it's perfect. Plus, the feel of sleeping on air is fantastic. No springs putting unnecessary pressure on your back, as is always stated in the commercials.

That brings me to the one big difference between an air mattress and an air bed: the chambers. An air bed has multiple chambers, lifting you off the floor, albeit not as much as a real bed. But although there's not as much lift, it still feels like a real bed.

On the negative side, it's not durable, and there's no point denying that. That's to be expected since it ranges from 1/5-1/10 of the cost of a real bed. But occasionally, a hole does spring up. When that happens, you can try to either fix the leak with the kit they give you, or duct tape. I would honestly recommend duct tape, because the kit is 0-for-2 in fixing leaks. Plus, a chamber can occasionally burst. If that happens, the bed gets a weird bulge and can no longer distribute air evenly. That makes it difficult to sleep well on it, because you've got an air bulge on your side, or you're on the bulge. Either way, it's tough.

But overall, the air bed's positives just outweigh its negatives. For under $100, it's more comfortable than any regular bed I've used, and can be taken anywhere. The only problem is its durability, but if that's the only reason I would choose a bed, I'll take the better comfort and work around the durability. That's my opinion, the air bed is one of my best purchases, and I've never regretted the choice.

My time is up. You've all been great. Enjoy Carolyn Dawn Johnson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan...your an idiot, just buy one of the temperpedic ones that will last for like a lifetime because of their warrenty especially since mom will probably buy it for you.

Dan Angell said...

Those cost $790, and I'm not at a permanent residence, we could decide to find a different place to live next year. For that $790, I could get 10 air beds. I might buy a TempurPedic or Select Comfort bed once I find a permanent home, aka when I get a real job.

hoosierdaddy1913 said...

I only like sleeping on air mattresses when I'm staying over at someone's house and there are no more beds left to sleep on. But whatever suits your fancy, I say go for it